The costs of college education are increasing and accordingly the number of students actually joining the college is decreasing due to financial difficulties. According to a survey women in US are already less educated than men, the biggest reason for less education among women is the funds required for college. There are number of ways you can fund your studies including student loans, but the best way is obviously to fund your studies by scholarship because you do not have to pay back scholarships money. There are number of scholarship programs specifically offered to women from minority communities living in the US. Some programs are highlighted in this article.
Scholarships for Women from African American Community:
- The United Negro College Fund is a fund that offers scholarships to African American women through many colleges. African American women going to colleges which are historically considered black colleges can get this aid.
- African American women who are high school seniors can get financial aid of up to $10,000 per year for college from The Ron Brown Scholar program.
- The NAACP is an old organization that provides aid to African American students from all fields; however students from other minority communities can also get aid through some of their scholarship programs.
Scholarships for Hispanic Women:
- The Hispanic College Fund provides aid to Hispanic women studying at designated Hispanic colleges.
- The Margaret MacNamera Memorial Fund offer aid to women from Hispanic and other minority communities. Women must be over 40 years of age, having financial need and want to get college education.
- MillerCoors runs a scholarship program by the name of Adelante program. This program provides aid to female students from Hispanic community.
Minority female students that apply for a minority women scholarship offered specifically to them are at advantage because they will face less competition compared to open scholarships.
More information on above mentioned women scholarship can be obtained from their website. Female students can also search for many other minority scholarships offered to them on the internet using scholarship search sites. There are over 50 of such scholarship search sites over the internet that can provide information on all minority scholarship programs offered in the US.
Students who are from minority communities outside US can check with local organizations that represent their community for scholarship opportunities available to them. They can also search for international minority scholarships that can help them fund their studies abroad.