Since the cost of education is high, scholarship search must start right from the high school years of a student. This is the reason why there are many types of contests like art scholarships for high school students in which students can participate and win the award money. (more…)
scholarships for high school students.
Passing out from the High school is an important event in the life of the students. They now have to work out their future plans and determine whether they will attend a four year college program, university, community college or a technical college. Their decision will have an impact on their future success. For many students, money becomes a limiting factor which dictates the availability of certain career choices over the others. This means that high tuition fees can prevent a student from pursuing the field of study of his/her desires. Fortunately, scholarships for high school students can and are helping most students to be able to choose a field of study in accord with their desires without worrying about the funds. Let us take a look at some of the opportunities that are available to such students.
- The US Department of Education offers the Federal Pell Grant to undergraduate students. It is a post secondary grant and the maximum amount can be up to $5,000.
- Another federally funded grant is the Academic competitiveness grant which is offered to qualified candidates for two years. The amount of grant is $750 for the first academic year and $1,300 for the second academic year.
- Full time undergraduate students enrolled in third or fourth year undergraduate study are eligible for the SMART grant. The grant money is up to $4,000 for each of the third and fourth semester.
Scholarships for high school students also come in the form of loans.
- Undergraduate students can take advantage of a low interest (5%), Federal Perkins Loan Program. The maximum amount of loaned money is $4,000 per academic year.
- Undergraduates can also take advantage of the Stafford loans. It comes in two forms, subsidized (for needy students) and unsubsidized.
- Parents of dependents or undergraduate students themselves can take advantage of the PLUS loans.
The students can also join the Federal Work Study Program which is a part time employment program for full or part, time graduate or undergraduate students. This program helps a student to pay for his educational expenses by acquiring an on campus or off campus job. Earnings are at least equal to the current federal minimum wage.
This was a review of some of the scholarships for high school students. The students are encouraged to further search out on the internet or contact the scholarship counselors of their schools.