Scholarships can be a very good source of financial assistance to students. There is a great diversity of organizations which are willing to offer help to students either to meet their own ends, as a sign of showing their concern for various issues, or just out of charity and community service. It is expected then that the diversity of scholarship requirements would match the variety of the scholarship opportunities. It could indeed be a very good idea to have knowledge about the various scholarship requirements. Let us take a review of the various scholarship requirements that the students can hope to come across. This could act as a checklist for personal scrutiny.
- The most common scholarship requirements include a ‘demonstration of proficiency’ to be eligible for the reward. This might include, a very good writing ability, a good talent in the various arts like drawing, painting, dance, etc., being erudite in your respective field of science or being good at sports. These requirements usually include those scholarships which allow more competent candidates to have a better chance of success.
- The candidates are also required to fill out the FAFSA form, which makes them eligible for federal scholarships. The candidates should also in all instances, gather complete information about application deadlines, application procedures, special requirements and most importantly all the relevant scholarship opportunities. These points include the general requirements that the students should take care of.
- Sometimes there are some very specific scholarship requirements. These include scholarships according to physical characteristics (left-handedness, disability, height, etc), sex, academic level (sophomore, junior, etc), career (military, journalism, medicine, firefighting, nursing, etc), nationality and immigrant status, etc.
- Some scholarship may have changing requirements. You might be required to qualify for certain requirements at the time of application and then you might be required to fulfill further requirement later on. This generally applies to scholarships that are renewable.
- There are generally three categories of financial aid available: scholarships, grants and loans. These might have slightly different requirements and implications. For instance, loans require you to return the money later on and the application procedure for the grants can be different form scholarships.
- Some scholarships are for international students. These are generally very prestigious and have stringent requirements. An example is the Fulbright Scholarship.
This was a brief account of the various scholarship requirements that the students must be aware of. The prospective candidates are advised to always find out about the specific requirements of the scholarship opportunity they are interested in.