Photography scholarships can be acquired by people who want to acquire education in photography to pursue careers as freelance photographers, photojournalists, advertising, etc. There are many organization that offer money to people interested in the field of photography and they are not just to support their study efforts but also to provide them funding for other purposes like making visits to photography conferences.
The most obvious requirement on part of the candidate is to have a good skill in photography. The candidate must assemble the very best of his work and present it to the judges. Being a field of the arts, the possibilities are limitless as to what can be presented for evaluation. Let us take a look at some of the organizations that provide funds for photography scholarships.
Professional photography scholarships include:
- The Millotte scholarship fund offers an amount of $4000 to the students of photography having an orientation towards natural subjects. Requirements include a GPA of 3.0.
- North American Nature Photography Association provides funds to member students for visiting the annual NANPA summit conference.
- The Janie Moore Green Grant provides an amount of $1000 to students for a course in photography. Eligibility criteria include a good academic record and good skill in photography.
- The World Studio foundation provides scholarships for a number of disciplines of the arts including photography. Eligibility criteria include a minimum CGPA of 2.0 and the students will also be required to submit a sample of their work for evaluation.
- The Association of Women Journalists offers scholarships for photojournalism.
- The Ivan and Bernice Burnham Memorial Fund which is sponsored by Vermont Professional Photographers, provides a varied amount of money to students planning a study course in photography.
Some college scholarships are as follows:
- The Jules Strauss photography scholarship is offered to outstanding seniors with an excellent academic record. It is sponsored by the San Francisco State University School of photography.
- Larry Holland/AGI Commercial Scholarship
- PPO/OIP&T Scholarship
Some other opportunities are:
- Bob Baxter scholarship provides an amount of $ 1000 to students of photojournalism.
- Reid Blackburn scholarship.
- Bob East scholarship provides an amount of $2000 to students of photojournalism who are planning to attend graduate school.
These were some of the options which are available. The diversity of these photography scholarships is immense and there is really something for everyone. The correct strategy is to make an impressive compilation of your work and try your best.