Several federal scholarships and grants are available for students these days. These are some of the best scholarships that can be applied by potential college students who are not sure about how they would pay for their college. (more…)
Along with the universities, corporations, and philanthropic organizations, the federal government also provides scholarships to deserving students.
Types of Federal Scholarships
Like other scholarships, the criteria for a federal scholarship vary and can include anything from financial need to a student’s chosen subject. The amount you will get with this scholarship varies as well, and can range up to the full amount of your tuition and other fees. You may or may not be able to renew a federal scholarship, depending on the award. Some of these scholarships are awarded by your academic institution, while others are awarded by a federal agency or a partner organization of the federal government.
Federal scholarships are usually provided by federal agencies, such as the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Institutes of Health. A lot of these scholarships are provided specifically to students in high-need fields or to students doing coursework that has particular relevance to a particular federal agency. A lot of major-specific awards feature either a fellowship/internship or an employment agreement with the awarding agency.
Applying for a Federal Scholarship
You can apply for federal aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This can be done in two ways: You can do it online by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov or on paper. In some cases, you might be able to submit an application through your school. You should check with the financial aid administrator at the school you are looking to enter to see if it will assist you with the application process.
Federal Scholarship Pointers
Here are some pointers for applying to get a FAFSA scholarship.
1. 1st January is the first day of eligibility to submit your application for FAFSA Scholarship. Make sure that you send your application as close to this date as possible to enhance your chances.
2. Visit the FAFSA website to get detailed information on the application process. The site contains information on all the steps that you need to take to file the FAFSA. This will minimize any issues that could hold up your scholarship application.
3. Schools may require you to provide additional forms, past documentation regarding your financial history, tax returns, or institutional financial assistance forms. Try to get as much of this information ready for submission as possible.
A federal scholarship can help you pay the tuition fees and other expenses related to your education. Therefore, it is a good idea to consider it along with other scholarships that you may be eligible for.
Scholarships can be a very good source of financial assistance to students. There is a great diversity of organizations which are willing to offer help to students either to meet their own ends, as a sign of showing their concern for various issues, or just out of charity and community service. It is expected then that the diversity of scholarship requirements would match the variety of the scholarship opportunities. It could indeed be a very good idea to have knowledge about the various scholarship requirements. Let us take a review of the various scholarship requirements that the students can hope to come across. This could act as a checklist for personal scrutiny.
- The most common scholarship requirements include a ‘demonstration of proficiency’ to be eligible for the reward. This might include, a very good writing ability, a good talent in the various arts like drawing, painting, dance, etc., being erudite in your respective field of science or being good at sports. These requirements usually include those scholarships which allow more competent candidates to have a better chance of success.
- The candidates are also required to fill out the FAFSA form, which makes them eligible for federal scholarships. The candidates should also in all instances, gather complete information about application deadlines, application procedures, special requirements and most importantly all the relevant scholarship opportunities. These points include the general requirements that the students should take care of.
- Sometimes there are some very specific scholarship requirements. These include scholarships according to physical characteristics (left-handedness, disability, height, etc), sex, academic level (sophomore, junior, etc), career (military, journalism, medicine, firefighting, nursing, etc), nationality and immigrant status, etc.
- Some scholarship may have changing requirements. You might be required to qualify for certain requirements at the time of application and then you might be required to fulfill further requirement later on. This generally applies to scholarships that are renewable.
- There are generally three categories of financial aid available: scholarships, grants and loans. These might have slightly different requirements and implications. For instance, loans require you to return the money later on and the application procedure for the grants can be different form scholarships.
- Some scholarships are for international students. These are generally very prestigious and have stringent requirements. An example is the Fulbright Scholarship.
This was a brief account of the various scholarship requirements that the students must be aware of. The prospective candidates are advised to always find out about the specific requirements of the scholarship opportunity they are interested in.
If someone in your family has died, especially one of your parents, things can be pretty difficult. Not only do you have to handle yourself emotionally after the loss, but there can be financial problems as well. Therefore, a lot of organizations who have scholarship programs for kids with a deceased parent. With this money you can pay for your college education. Here are four scholarship programs that you may find helpful.
LIFE Lessons Scholarship: The total money offered by this organization each year as scholarships for kids with a deceased parent is $45,000—one $5,000 dollar scholarship and 40 $1,000 dollar scholarships. The selection criterion for this scholarship is a five hundred word essay or a three minute video in which the students explain the emotional and financial impact of the loss of a parent on their lives.
Kids’ Chance Scholarship: This organization offers scholarships to kids who have lost their mother or father in a work-related accident. This scholarship acknowledges that a sudden accident can prove even more destabilizing than a long illness. Kids’ Chance asks students to provide their transcripts, a description of the accident, and an overview of their family’s financial position.
The Mary Ellen Locher Foundation: This foundation awards scholarships to kids who have lost a parent due to breast cancer. Kids who are living with a breast cancer patient or a breast cancer survivor can also win this scholarship. Since this scholarship is designed to increase awareness about the fight against breast cancer, students will have to show their contribution in promoting breast cancer awareness in their community.
Federal Scholarships: There are many scholarships available for children who lost their parent severing the military. Families who have lost a parent in military service are financially compensated by the federal government. Also, parts of the GI Bill can be used for funding your own education if you ask in the right way. Contact your local VA chapter or go to their website to get more information about financial assistance.
Since the loss of a parent creates such a financial hardship, when you fill out your FAFSA forms, you will probably find yourself more eligible for grants than you thought you would be. No doubt the loss of a parent is probably one of the most difficult things to handle in life, the burden can be somewhat lightened by finding scholarships for kids with a deceased parent to help you with your school expenses.