Environmental science is a wonderful area of study. Not only does it afford a study of the various mesmerizing ecosystems of the earth, it is also concerned with protecting our environment for future generations and more efficient resource use. It is not surprising that many organizations are more than willing to support the students who want to work in a field of study related to the environment. Environmental scholarships are offered by many different organizations to support the development of future environmental scientists or people from other professions who are interested in environmental work. Let us take a look at some of the options that are available.
- Annie’s Homegrown Sustainable Agricultural Scholarship offers an annual scholarship ranging from $2,500 to $10,000 to brilliant undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in food and agricultural related degrees.
- Brower Youth Awards is an annual scholarship worth $3,000 and is awarded to six young environmental activists and students. Other privileges include a gathering in San Francisco and participation in the Bioneers conference and an overnight backpacking trip.
- Department of Natural Resources Environmental Education Scholarships is worth $1,000 (renewable). It is offered to minority students who are residents of and students in the state of Missouri. It is awarded to graduate and undergraduate students from a wide range of environmental fields.
- Dr. W. Wesley Eckenfelder Scholarship is an annual scholarship worth $3,000. It is offered to students of environmental science and environmental engineering (also civil, mechanical and agricultural engineering).
- Garden Club of America Scholarship is designed to promote the love of gardening. It offers three scholarships worth $2,000 each to students and working professionals in the field of horticulture and other gardening fields.
- National Environmental Health Association Scholarship is worth $1,000 and is offered to graduate and undergraduate students of environmental health and public health in their junior and senior years.
- Middlebury Fellowship in Environmental Journalism provides a handsome sum of $10,000 in living and reporting expenses to ten writers at the beginning of their career. This scholarship ensures the survival of environmental journalism.
- Switzer Foundation Fellowship is for exceptional environmental grad students from New England and California. Accepted fellows receive a $15,000 award.
This was an outline of some of the options that are available to the students of environment related fields. There could still be many more organizations that are willing to support the students who want to opt for and environment related field of study. The internet should be consulted for further information.