Study scholarships are money given to students to help them finance their study. Unlike student loans this money never has to be paid back. This money is either given directly to you or paid to your college. Scholarships are no longer only for students with financial need but the increasing cost of college education has forced almost all students to look for some kind of financial aid.
Scholarships are generally awarded by Governments, welfare organizations, commercial organizations, clubs, colleges and universities. However the sources of scholarships are numerous; they are also awarded by organizations representing a minority religious or ethnic community.
Study scholarships are awarded based on varying criteria. Scholarships may be awarded based on academic performance, athletic performance, aspiring talents, leadership abilities, financial need etc. There are also scholarship programs that provide aid to students from specific groups among society, such as scholarships for disabled persons or scholarships for single moms.
Some tips that might help you in getting a scholarship are as follows.
- Make sure you qualify for the scholarships your are applying for. During search over the internet you will come across hundreds of scholarships programs and you will be tempted to apply for them. You should carefully read the requirements of each programs and only apply if you qualify for the program. It will save a lot of your time and effort, which you can utilize in a productive way.
- You should make a complete application. You should ensure that you are providing all the information and documentation required by scholarship providers. You should also feel free to include proof of any extracurricular activities you may have participated in. Incomplete applications are generally not considered by the scholarship providers.
- You should make applications on as many scholarships programs as you qualify for. It is a sure way of increasing your chances of getting a scholarship.
- You should not pay to apply for scholarships. While your search on the internet you might come across a lot of scam that ask money to apply for a scholarship. Scholarships are to give you financial aid, so no scholarship provider is going to ask you for a fee to apply for a scholarship. You should be aware of scams on the internet.
- Start your search as early as you can. Starting your search early will give you more time to look for scholarships and enable you to apply on scholarships that have early deadlines for applying.