Careers in computer industry are lucrative but computer science education is so expensive that very little number of students’ mange to get education in computer science without some kind of financial aid. To meet the increasing demand of qualified computer science professional in world numerous educational institutes, governments and computer manufacturers have started different scholarships award to help computer science students complete their education.
These scholarships are awarded based on varying criteria; some scholarships are awarded base on academic merit, some are awarded based on computer related talents and many more are awarded based on performance in a competition. This article highlights some of the scholarship opportunities available to computer science students.
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon Student Award for Academic Excellence provides financial assistance to numerous students who show good performance in their national competition. The amount of the scholarship award is $500.
- ThinkQuest Internet Challenge is a scholarship program funded by Oracle Education Foundation. This program provides scholarships to computer engineering students who take part in a website building competition. The amount of the scholarship award is up to $5000.
- SWE Scholarship Program is a scholarship program specifically for female students. This programs provides $10,000 scholarships to female students who are joining a bachelor’s or master’s program preparing for computer engineering and other engineering technology careers. Applying on this scholarship program will put applicants to advantage as they will face less competition.
- NFB Computer Science Scholarship is a large scholarship program that provides aid to over 30 students each year. These scholarships are specifically for blind students who participate in NFB’s national convention and who are planning to join a full time course related to computer science.
- AFCEA Educational Foundation Scholarship program provides aid to talented students who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and who are planning to join a four year course in aerospace, computer engineering & science, electrical engineering, math or physics. The scholarship is named General John A. Wickham Scholarships and the amount of the award is $2000.
More information on above mentioned aid programs can be obtained from their website. Students should also expand their option by searching for more scholarships award available to computer science students over the internet. Students should only apply on scholarship programs they qualify for, which will save a lot of their time and effort and they should also consider applying on multiple programs that will increase their chances of winning a scholarship.