In 2001 the Hispanic population in United States has gone past the African American population. In the census of 2006, it was revealed that about 100 million Hispanics are now living in the US making them the largest minority community in US. Despite their considerable population and their contribution towards the American society the Hispanics are generally laid back in their financial progress. A large part of Hispanic population is doing labor intensive jobs. The main reason for this is the lack of education among Hispanic communities. Women as in other communities are less educated than men in Hispanic community.
Government funding for scholarships for Hispanics are less as compared to other minority grants and the government also acknowledges this fact. Government has increased funding for Hispanic scholarship funds by $15million recently. There are also many private welfare organizations that provide scholarships for Hispanic communities. Five most reputable organizations that provide scholarships to Hispanic women are discussed in this article.
- The Hispanic Heritage Foundation offers numerous scholarship programs for Hispanic women from all fields. The foundation also runs programs to assist graduates from Hispanic community in finding white-collar jobs.
- Stanford Society of Chicano provides numerous scholarships to both Hispanic women and men from different fields. The organization provides scholarships for various courses but women joining a male dominated field are encouraged for the scholarships.
- The Rising Farm Worker Dream Fund is a scholarship fund that provides scholarships to children of Hispanic farm laborers or farmers to pursue an MBA degree. The amount of the scholarship award ranges from $2500 to $5000. The foundation also assists graduates from Hispanic community in finding a job.
- The Hispanic Scholarship Fund provides financial aid to a large number of students from Hispanic community. They run numerous scholarships programs with the amount of award ranging from $1000 to $10000.
- The Hispanic Women’s Corporation is an organization working for women’s rights and empowerment of Hispanic women in the community. They offer 50 scholarships every year to Hispanic women. The scholarships are awarded under different programs with the amount ranging from $300 to $10,000.
More information on above mentioned programs can be obtained from their website. Students can also find many other scholarships for Hispanic women offered by different organizations. There are also many organizations that provide aid to Hispanic men as well. All such scholarships can be searched over the internet using scholarship search engines available on the internet.