Italian American students belong to a minority group and are eligible for minority scholarships. There are a number of Italian American scholarships available for such students. These include scholarships for school level to college level. The students who display excellent academic achievement and deserve financial assistance are strong candidates for receiving such scholarships. Let us take a look at some of the Italian American scholarships.
- Italian American undergraduates and college students majoring in Italian studies or a related field are eligible for the scholarship provided by the National Italian American Foundation. Application process is entirely online and this is a need based scholarship. Eligibility criteria include a minimum CGPA of 3.5. The amount ranges from $2,000 to $12,000.
- Italian American undergraduates and graduates are also eligible for merit based scholarships provided by the Order Sons of Italy in America. This scholarship is for general study or for those students interested in studying abroad. The amount ranges from $5,000 to $25,000.
- High school seniors of Italian American descent who are planning to get enrolled at an accredited college of university are eligible for the Columbus Citizens Foundation Scholarships. The candidates must not have a household income exceeding $25,000. Residents of only some states are eligible. Further information about eligibility can be obtained from columbuscitizensfd.org/scollege.shtml. The amount of scholarship money varies.
- Third year Italian American law students who are residents of Philadelphia are eligible for the Justinian Foundation Scholarships. This is a need based scholarship and the candidates must be member of their local Justinian Society Law School Chapter.
- Children and grandchildren of the members of the Italian American Society of Peoria are eligible for the Robert L. Facker Memorial scholarship. The amount is varied and the funds can be used at the college of choice of the candidate.
- Another need based scholarship for candidates of Italian American descent is the Italian Catholic Federation scholarship. The scholarship is offered to the residents of California, Arizona, Nevada and Illinois. The candidates must belong to the catholic faith. Scholarship money ranges from $400 to $1,000.
This was a review of some of the many Italian American scholarships that are available. It will be a good idea to search further on the internet and contact the various Italian American societies. With a little research, the candidates are sure to find success. As they say in Italian ‘Chi cerca trova.’