In the present economic scenario, it is pretty difficult to enter a college without a scholarship or grant for college tuition. However, going on the scholarship route may result in you losing money as there are a lot scam operations that prey on people desperate to fund their studies with a scholarship.
Here are some methods of spotting scams from legitimate scholarships.
1. Fees: Legitimate scholarship bodies provide their services free of cost. You will never have to pay any money, whether you want information about a scholarship or want to apply. Be wary of organizations that charge applicants for processing their requests and applying to the institutions.
2. Guarantees: If a scholarship organization offers you a guarantee then it’s not legitimate. Applicants are selected by the relevant authorities after thoroughly evaluating their application and anyone claiming that they can make you a scholarship holder if you just apply through them are scammers.
3. Glamour: Another thing to remember is that the authorities that announce scholarships do it in straight forward manner, and the information provided by them is accurate not vague. If you come across an announcement that has fancy words and an element of glamour that makes it look like a product advertisement, then it’s a good idea to leave it and move to another scholarship program.
4. Address and Contact Details: Contact information is important in spotting scams as well. A real scholarship body has a business address and phone number, not a residential address and phone, or P.O. Box number. You should search the website to find the contact information and if the right information is not present, then you are at the wrong place.
5. Eligibility Requirements: Those who apply for scholarships go through a screening process and one way they are screened is by checking if they meet the eligibility requirements. A scholarship program that everyone can apply for free of cost is definitely a scam.
While there are scammers out there ready to prey on unsuspecting scholarship aspirants, there are methods to identify these scammers. If you keep in mind the points mentioned in this article, you will not only save time but also save your money from getting wasted in applying for scholarships that won’t provide you the funds you’re looking for to attend a college. While searching for scholarships, you should base your decision on common sense and if you have any doubts, do not hesitate in asking questions.