Health care profession is further subdivided in to a number of different professions, such as doctors, nurses etc. No matter which profession you belong to, healthcare professionals are one of the most high demand professionals in the job market. Health care education is expensive and for most students it is difficult to get health care education without some financial assistance. There are numerous healthcare scholarships provided by different sources to encourage students to join healthcare related professions in order to meet the increasing demand of job market.
Health care scholarships are awarded based on varying criteria; some scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, some are based on community service or financial need, and some are based on an agreement to work for the scholarship provider for a specified period. The criterion for the award depends upon the awarding body. This article highlights some scholarship opportunities available to health care students.
- National Nursing Education Initiative is an organization that provides assistance to diploma registered nurses and associate degree nurses who are working towards their BSNs.
- The Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Scholarship of Excellence Award is a scholarship program that provides scholarships to students from all health related fields.
- National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program provides assistance to Family nurse practitioner students, physician assistant students and medical students. The students can get their tuition fees of up to four years paid by these scholarships.
- Oncology Nursing Foundation Scholarships offers scholarships to registered Nurse license holders for further studies. The amount of the scholarship award is $2000.
- Mount Sinai Hospital’s BSN Student Scholarship/Work Repayment Program is a health care scholarship program that provides $3000 scholarships to last year nursing students in exchange to an agreement to work for their hospital for a specified period.
- Minority Nurse Scholarship Program provides assistance to nursing students from ethnic minority communities. The scholarship is awarded to nursing students working towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The amount of the award is $500 to $1000.
- Nurse Options Registered Nurse Academic Scholarships provide financial assistance to registered nurse students. The scholarships are awarded based on GPA, community service, leadership and extra academic activities.
More information on above mentioned programs can be obtained from their websites. Health care students can search for many other health care scholarships offered by different organizations. There are over 50 scholarship search engines available over the internet that can help you in searching for scholarships.