A survey published by MSNBC shows that average tuition fee is slightly over $7000 for degree courses in year 2009-2010 and another survey by CNN shows that tuition for a four-year degree is nearly $27,000, and both surveys show that these tuition fees are expected to further rise by 15% in 2010-2011. These rising tuition costs have meant that more and more students are doing part time work, which has forced many students to opt for flexible degree plans, such as part time study or online degrees. The problem with such flexible plans is that they compromise with the quality of education and grooming a student gets at a full time degree program. There are many general scholarships that offer financial assistance to students from all fields to continue their studies. Many universities and colleges, and associations also provide financial aid to students from a particular field. No matter what your field is you can find many general scholarships and specific scholarships to fund your studies. In order to win these scholarships you need to apply on both types of scholarships and apply on as much scholarships as you can. I will mention some scholarship programs offered to students from different fields in this article.
- The Federal Pell Grant is the scholarship program offered by the US government. It provides aid to students related to all fields of education. The amount of the scholarships is $6000.
- The National Aeronautic and Space Agency (NASA) arrange a scholarship contest in which students are asked to submit their projects about space exploration. This program provides scholarships to students majoring in science, technology, engineering or math.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association provides scholarships to students who are training to become veterinary professionals.
- The Scripps Howard Foundation provides numerous scholarships to students who are planning to pursue a degree related to journalism. The scholarships are awarded based on achievements in the classroom, on the job, or in the community.
- The gigantic retail pharmacy corporation, CVS Caremark offers scholarships to students who are joining a degree course in pharmacy. The corporation awards these scholarships in collaboration with colleges and universities.
The above mentioned scholarship programs are just few examples of the hundreds of scholarships opportunities available to you. You can search for many general scholarships and many field specific scholarships to fund your studies over the internet. These scholarship programs can be easily searched over scholarship search sites available on the internet.