The USA provides a number of international scholarships to students from around the world. These scholarships not only help strengthen foreign relations but also allow the brightest minds from around the world to pursue their education on US soil. One such scholarship program is the Fulbright scholarship program founded by Senator J. William Fulbright in 1946. The scholarship is awarded to students who have shown prowess in leadership and public activities. The scholarship program is provided by the US department of State’s for educational and cultural affairs bureau and serves 7,500 new students annually.
Selection is done by a board of 12 members appointed by the President himself. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has provided the guidelines for selection. The eligibility criteria are set by the members of the board who are educational or opinion leaders.
The Fulbright Scholarship program is available in different categories:
- The Fulbright Specialists program.
- The Fulbright visiting scholars program is provided to 850 students from around the world who are performing post doctoral work in the US.
- Fulbright scholar in residence program arrange lecture for international students on different topics.
- The Fulbright scholars visiting specialists program is for the Islamic community.
- The Fulbright new century scholars global program is given to best 30 research scholars around the globe.
- Fulbright foreign student program is planned for promoting foreign artists and professionals.
- Fulbright teacher exchange program is also arranged for teachers of primary and secondary schools.
These were some of the various categories in which the Fulbright scholarship program is being offered. Furthermore, there are some special details that a student must be aware of. Firstly, to get the detailed information about the Fulbright scholarship program you can visit the website of the program that is setup specifically for your country. This is important because it will provide you with the information that is relevant to your country. You can get information about the fields of study that are eligible, categories of scholarships, the number of seats in each category and the all important eligibility criteria. Secondly, you may be required to take the TOEFL and/or the GRE (general/subject) test so you must be prepared for that too. Lastly, you will be required to write a personal statement detailing you objectives in the U.S and you will also be required to produce reference letters and attested photocopies of your documents. Also take note of the deadline of form submission.