There are many recognized minority groups in the United States and Native Americans are one of the smallest groups if population is the parameter. Just because the percentage of Native Americans is not very high there are limited financial aids available for students of this community. (more…)
Native American Scholarships
If you are a high school student and you are looking for scholarships to attend college and major in chemistry, Louisiana scholarships for high school seniors majoring in chemistry is there to help you proceed if you reside in Louisiana. Scholarships for high school seniors are the most common financial aid options available and used these days. (more…)
The detail information on Louisiana Native American scholarships is available on the official website of Louisiana Governor’s Office of Indian Affairs. The application form to be filled is not available here. You can gather complete information about the scholarships, their accessibility and how to use them right here (more…)
Georgia promise scholarships help students of Georgia make a difference in their future. Here scholarships and grants are available of different types for students who are dedicated to complete their education without any financial burden. Only few years back students had to depend on student loans in the form of outside funding. Loans have to be repaid back and that too with interest. (more…)
Every year the cost of education is rising and more and more students find it difficult to fund their education without any financial help. This is the reason why there are different types of financial aids available and availability of scholarships for descendents of Native Americans is one of them. (more…)
HBCU stands for Historically Black Colleges and Universities. HBCU are institutions of higher education that were established mostly before 1964 and aim to serve the black community of America. There are currently 105 HBCUs in the United States. These scholarships are available for black minorities of the US but in some cases people from non minority classes who are going to attend a HBCU are also eligible. One example of a HBCU scholarship is the one provided by the HBCUCONNECT.com. This scholarship makes available an amount of $1,000 for up to 4 minority applicants. This scholarship is available for students who are enrolled or are planning to enroll in a HBCU. It is only available for African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans. The current deadline for the application process has passed long ago (June 1st 2010) but the applicants can keep this scholarship in mind for the next academic year. This scholarship requires the applicant to write a 350 word essay on topics related to the black community or black personalities or history, etc. Another opportunity is provided by the US Air Force ROTC to college students of any major. This scholarship is open for non-minority applicants as well who are attending a minority institution. The good thing about this scholarship is that if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria he is sure to get the scholarship money. The applicants apart from being US citizens should pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying test and the Air Force Officer ROTC Physical Fitness Test. The applicant must not be taking advantage of a scholarship opportunity already and should also pass the age, moral and certain other eligibility requirements for the scholarship. The HBCU ‘PACKARD’ Sit Abroad Scholarships are also available for minority students who plan to study in programs outside the US. This was a review of the various HBCU scholarships that are available. The applicants have a variety of other minority scholarships available other than specific HBCU scholarships. The applicants should carry out an extensive search on the internet or consult local listings. Belonging to a specific scholarship worthy group can be quite advantageous towards the procurement of some scholarship money. It is also advised to gather information about the eligibility criteria and deadlines before applying for a scholarship. The application forms should be retained for future reference. The applicants must also not underestimate the importance of community service which could help distinguish them from other applicants.
There are several scholarships for private schools that students can avail. A Better Chance has been awarding such scholarships to people of color since 1963. They place about 500 new students each year, and provide assistance to more than 1,900 students who are currently enrolled in their Member Schools across the US.
A Better Chance provides students in grades 6 to 12 access to rigorous and prestigious educational opportunities. Their aim is to considerably increase the number of well-educated young people of color who have the ability to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
Over the years, the organization has claimed over 12,000 A Better Chance Alumni who took advantage of the opportunity provided to them and made it to leadership positions in all sectors of industry, arts, and science.
Last year in fall, the organization was able to place 517 scholars and leverage more than $6.5 million in financial aid from their Member Schools for supporting these new students. As a current scholars, you can also go to a series of Career and Workforce Development Workshops, travel to other countries to take part in 3 to 5 week study abroad trips, and be involved in many other activities designed for enriching your overall experience with the program.
Usually those students are selected who:
1) Show their performance at or above grade level in English and Mathematics on a consistent basis.
2) Have an overall B+ or better.
3) Mentioned in the top 10% of the class.
You should be a citizen or permanent resident of US to be eligible for the scholarship.
It is mandatory for students to take standardized tests. No score cut-offs are in effect, however, your performance in the tests is used to assess how academically strong you are along with the school transcripts, extracurricular activities and personal qualities. Upon selection, you will be sent to one of the member schools. The admission committees of each member school are responsible for making the final decisions on admissions.
In order to maximize your chances of winning the scholarship, you should get started early; submitting your application late severely limits your chances. Further, the application process starts one year in advance of enrollment. For example, if you’re in the 7th grade at present, you would be applying for the 8th grade.
Scholarships for private schools offered by A Better Chance give students the opportunity to develop themselves and become leaders.
Finding a scholarship to get higher education in you field is a tough job. It is tough because you will have to face fierce competition for most of the scholarships that are being offered. If you belong to one of the minority communities living in US it is a good idea to look for minority scholarships. These minority scholarships provide opportunity to women from minority communities to get funding for studies without much fierce competition. There are hundreds of scholarship programs offered for every minority community. In this article I will discuss top 3 programs that offer scholarships for minority women.
- Federal Pell Grant: This is a very prestigious scholarship program offered by the US department of Education. This program offers assistance to undergraduate minority women students to pursue graduate degrees. In year 2008-2009 the awarded scholarships were worth $4,700, and the department of education has planned to increase this aid to $5,400 till 2012. Students can get complete information on deadlines and requirements on the program’s website.
- The FSEOG programs: The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Program is a program that provides scholarships for minority women to complete their graduate degree. This program offers assistance to women who have completed their post secondary education and who belong to the low-income group of society. The amount of the scholarship varies with each individual. Students can get aid of $100 to $ 4000. Once students have won the scholarship the school aid office decides the amount of scholarship the student should receive.
- Academic Competitiveness Grant program: This program also provides aid to minority women to complete their graduate studies. This program is funded by different sources. This program provides aid for only two years of education. The program provides aid of $750 for first year and $1300 for second year of education, which amounts to $325 per semester for first year and $650 per semester for second year of education.
More information on all 3 programs mentioned above can be obtained from their website. In addition to above mentioned programs women can easily find many other scholarships for minority women that can help them complete their education. Minority scholarships offered by government can be searched on the department of education’s website and scholarships offered by private organizations can be searched over scholarship search engines. There are over 50 of such scholarship search sites available over the internet that can provide you information on all scholarship programs.
Higher education is admitted as a basic right for all and provided free in many countries of world, such as Sweden and Norway. In countries where education is not free the rising costs of education has become a major concern for government and students. In USA many government and private organization are providing scholarships to students to help them fund their college education. The largest of such organizations is The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that runs the Gates Millennium Scholarship Program for minority students.
The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program is the largest private scholarship program in America that provides $1 billion worth of scholarships to students every year. In addition to these $1 billion scholarships the program has started offering scholarships for public health courses worth $58 million.
The scholarship program has provided 10,000 full tuition scholarships to low income students from American, Hispanic, Asian Pacific Islander, Alaskan Native and American Indian communities to pursue degrees in education, science, math’s, engineering, library science and public health. The scholarships are generally awarded based on financial need and academic excellence in relevant field.
The program requires the students to have a cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or higher and to meet the criterion set out by federal Pell grant. The students are also required to demonstrate participation in community service and good leadership skills. Only students who are joining college for the first time and who are US citizens or permanent residents can apply for the scholarships.
The deadline for application is usually in January; however you can search for exact dates on the program’s website. Every applicant is required to fill three forms; the personal information form, the nominator form and the recommender form. It is also a good idea to submit proof of any extracurricular and academic achievements you have made in past. All scholarship providers generally prefer students who have extra academic skills over students who just excel academically.
The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program provides 1000 full tuition scholarships every year to students that fulfill their criteria. The amount of these scholarship awards vary with each individual’s needs, as the scholarships are aimed at providing for the tuition cots and part of living costs. However, according to 2006 statistics the average amount of award for undergraduate students was $7,000 and for graduate students was $15,000. If you are eligible to apply for scholarships offered by this program you can download the application forms from their website.
Careers in fields related to psychology are interesting and rewarding. The pay scales of psychology professionals are in line with other qualified health professionals in most countries of world. Psychology education like all other medical education is expensive. To encourage students to join careers in psychology many associations and welfare societies have started psychology scholarship programs to help students finance their studies. This article discusses some popular psychology programs.
- APA Scholarship Program: The American psychology association scholarship program provides scholarships to students at all levels in all psychology related fields. These scholarships are provided in collaboration with many donors.
- The National Honor Society in Psychology scholarship program: This scholarship program provides numerous grants every year to graduate and undergraduate students that are planning to pursue a degree in psychology.
- NASP – ERT Minority Scholarship Program for Graduate Training: This program offers numerous aid programs to minority students from all fields including programs for psychology students.
- Native American Assistance programs by government: Students from the native American community that are pursuing degrees in Guidance Counseling or Psychology can qualify for the aid provided by US department of education to minority students.
- Latino Health Scholarship Program: The United Health Foundation and PacifiCare Foundation Provides numerous scholarships to students from the Latino community to pursue degrees in fields related to psychology.
- Disadvantaged Students scholarships by government: Disadvantaged Students that wish to pursue a degree in any field of psychology can qualify for the financial aid provided by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Medical Service Corps (U.S. Army) Educational Benefits: The American army runs several scholarship programs for its members to pursue higher degrees in many fields. The Health Profession Scholarship Program for Optometry and Psychology provides aid to members of US army that wish to pursue a degree in fields related to psychology.
In addition to the scholarship programs mentioned above you can search for many other scholarship programs offered by colleges and universities over the internet. Most colleges and universities offering psychology courses provide psychology scholarships to deserving students. You can search for all such scholarships offered in US over scholarship search sites. In addition to searching over internet you can also contact your local psychology schools to look for any financial aid offered by them.
International students looking to study in US may also find some programs that they can qualify for. However, scholarships for international students are few and are highly competitive..