Minority scholarship programs are designed and created to help students belonging to minority group of people accomplish their career dreams. Usually, people of minority or underprivileged group do not have sufficient money to provide adequate funding for the education of their children. (more…)
There are several scholarships for Asians offered by different awarding bodies. Here are the details of seven such scholarships.
1.) Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL)
CAPAL scholarships winners receive $2,000.00 to take part in an internship in Washington (DC.). You, as a recipient, will have to develop a Community Action Plan. Selection for getting the award is based on academic achievement, financial need, and leadership skills. You must be able to demonstrate public service, including service to the CAPAL community. Past winners of the scholarship include students majoring in subjects such as Asian American Studies, Mass Communication, and Diplomatic History.
2.) Sacramento State University, Department of Asian American Studies
One full-time scholarship worth $1,000.00 is offered each year. You can apply for this regardless of the major you are studying. In selecting recipients of the Asian Pacific American Community Leadership Scholarship, you will be given preference if you have completed one or more courses in this subject area and/or plan to take one or more courses during the year you receive the funds.
3.) UCLA, Department of Asian American Studies
The Department offers scholarships that range from $250.00 to $3,000.00 through its Asian American Studies Center.
4.) University of California, Irvine
The Ching-Suei Su Scholarship is available to sophomores or juniors majoring in Asian American Studies who have a GPA of at least 3.3. This merit-based scholarship is worth $2,500.00. In order to be eligible, you must have participated in community or campus service activities as well.
5.) Swarthmore College, Department of Asian Studies
Genevieve Ching-Wen Lee ’96 Memorial Fund Research Grants in Asian American Studies are awarded to one or two students every year. Details about the grants are published each spring.
6.) Mitsuyuki Yonemura Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is available to entering undergraduate freshmen who have the National Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) membership. When applying, you will need to submit a completed application form, official transcripts, JACL membership proof, a personal statement, resume, and letter of recommendation. The deadline for submitting applications is March 1. The amount of scholarship awarded to the student varies.
7.) Masao and Sumako Itano Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is also offered to entering undergraduate freshmen who are members of the National Japanese American Citizens League (JACL). The application deadline and documents required are same as the Mitsuyuki Yonemura Memorial Scholarship. The amount awarded is variable as well.
These are seven scholarships for Asians that you may be eligible for depending on the requirements.
Scholarships for education majors are offered to support the teachers of tomorrow. Many students choose an education major in hopes of a bright future in the teaching career. Sometimes the hopes of the students are mired into problems like meager pay, education debt, etc. The key to a bright future then is to graduate with little or no debt. Scholarships for education majors are the answer to the prayers of the students. Let us take a survey of some of the options that are available to the students.
- Applegate Jackson Parks Future Teacher Scholarship is available to graduate and undergraduate students majoring in education and is worth $1,000.
- Hardwood Forest Foundation Educator Scholarship is for bachelor, master or doctorate level students enrolled in an education related major. It provides one $1,500 and 14 $1,000 scholarships.
- Horace Mann Educator Scholarships is for education majors and once won is paid directly to the educational institution of the recipient. The applicants are judged on a written essay.
- Minority Teacher Education Scholarship is designed to generate education major in the state of Florida. Eligible candidates must be residents of the state of Florida and belong to the following racial groups: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American/Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaskan Native.
- TEACH grant provides an amount of $4,000 per year to students who are willing to teach in public or private elementary or secondary schools for low income families. The student after completion of his/her study will have to teach in the above mentioned capacity for 4 academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which he/she received the scholarship.
- Underwood Smith Teacher Scholarship Program is offered to outstanding students who wish to teach at a pre-school, elementary, middle or secondary school level in the public schools of West Virginia.
- Oklahoma Future Teachers Scholarship Program is aimed at producing competent manpower to fill in the critical shortage areas of the public schools in Oklahoma. The candidates must be resident of Oklahoma and must be nominated by their colleges.
There are much more opportunities available for education majors. The candidates must search for Government and private scholarship options. They must also explore the special educational needs of their areas and the opportunities that are special to their area of residence. The candidates must also be prepared to compete in essay competitions or other special requirements that the scholarship provider might put forward.
There are several scholarships for private schools that students can avail. A Better Chance has been awarding such scholarships to people of color since 1963. They place about 500 new students each year, and provide assistance to more than 1,900 students who are currently enrolled in their Member Schools across the US.
A Better Chance provides students in grades 6 to 12 access to rigorous and prestigious educational opportunities. Their aim is to considerably increase the number of well-educated young people of color who have the ability to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
Over the years, the organization has claimed over 12,000 A Better Chance Alumni who took advantage of the opportunity provided to them and made it to leadership positions in all sectors of industry, arts, and science.
Last year in fall, the organization was able to place 517 scholars and leverage more than $6.5 million in financial aid from their Member Schools for supporting these new students. As a current scholars, you can also go to a series of Career and Workforce Development Workshops, travel to other countries to take part in 3 to 5 week study abroad trips, and be involved in many other activities designed for enriching your overall experience with the program.
Usually those students are selected who:
1) Show their performance at or above grade level in English and Mathematics on a consistent basis.
2) Have an overall B+ or better.
3) Mentioned in the top 10% of the class.
You should be a citizen or permanent resident of US to be eligible for the scholarship.
It is mandatory for students to take standardized tests. No score cut-offs are in effect, however, your performance in the tests is used to assess how academically strong you are along with the school transcripts, extracurricular activities and personal qualities. Upon selection, you will be sent to one of the member schools. The admission committees of each member school are responsible for making the final decisions on admissions.
In order to maximize your chances of winning the scholarship, you should get started early; submitting your application late severely limits your chances. Further, the application process starts one year in advance of enrollment. For example, if you’re in the 7th grade at present, you would be applying for the 8th grade.
Scholarships for private schools offered by A Better Chance give students the opportunity to develop themselves and become leaders.
Finding a scholarship to get higher education in you field is a tough job. It is tough because you will have to face fierce competition for most of the scholarships that are being offered. If you belong to one of the minority communities living in US it is a good idea to look for minority scholarships. These minority scholarships provide opportunity to women from minority communities to get funding for studies without much fierce competition. There are hundreds of scholarship programs offered for every minority community. In this article I will discuss top 3 programs that offer scholarships for minority women.
- Federal Pell Grant: This is a very prestigious scholarship program offered by the US department of Education. This program offers assistance to undergraduate minority women students to pursue graduate degrees. In year 2008-2009 the awarded scholarships were worth $4,700, and the department of education has planned to increase this aid to $5,400 till 2012. Students can get complete information on deadlines and requirements on the program’s website.
- The FSEOG programs: The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Program is a program that provides scholarships for minority women to complete their graduate degree. This program offers assistance to women who have completed their post secondary education and who belong to the low-income group of society. The amount of the scholarship varies with each individual. Students can get aid of $100 to $ 4000. Once students have won the scholarship the school aid office decides the amount of scholarship the student should receive.
- Academic Competitiveness Grant program: This program also provides aid to minority women to complete their graduate studies. This program is funded by different sources. This program provides aid for only two years of education. The program provides aid of $750 for first year and $1300 for second year of education, which amounts to $325 per semester for first year and $650 per semester for second year of education.
More information on all 3 programs mentioned above can be obtained from their website. In addition to above mentioned programs women can easily find many other scholarships for minority women that can help them complete their education. Minority scholarships offered by government can be searched on the department of education’s website and scholarships offered by private organizations can be searched over scholarship search engines. There are over 50 of such scholarship search sites available over the internet that can provide you information on all scholarship programs.
Higher education is admitted as a basic right for all and provided free in many countries of world, such as Sweden and Norway. In countries where education is not free the rising costs of education has become a major concern for government and students. In USA many government and private organization are providing scholarships to students to help them fund their college education. The largest of such organizations is The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that runs the Gates Millennium Scholarship Program for minority students.
The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program is the largest private scholarship program in America that provides $1 billion worth of scholarships to students every year. In addition to these $1 billion scholarships the program has started offering scholarships for public health courses worth $58 million.
The scholarship program has provided 10,000 full tuition scholarships to low income students from American, Hispanic, Asian Pacific Islander, Alaskan Native and American Indian communities to pursue degrees in education, science, math’s, engineering, library science and public health. The scholarships are generally awarded based on financial need and academic excellence in relevant field.
The program requires the students to have a cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or higher and to meet the criterion set out by federal Pell grant. The students are also required to demonstrate participation in community service and good leadership skills. Only students who are joining college for the first time and who are US citizens or permanent residents can apply for the scholarships.
The deadline for application is usually in January; however you can search for exact dates on the program’s website. Every applicant is required to fill three forms; the personal information form, the nominator form and the recommender form. It is also a good idea to submit proof of any extracurricular and academic achievements you have made in past. All scholarship providers generally prefer students who have extra academic skills over students who just excel academically.
The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program provides 1000 full tuition scholarships every year to students that fulfill their criteria. The amount of these scholarship awards vary with each individual’s needs, as the scholarships are aimed at providing for the tuition cots and part of living costs. However, according to 2006 statistics the average amount of award for undergraduate students was $7,000 and for graduate students was $15,000. If you are eligible to apply for scholarships offered by this program you can download the application forms from their website.
Just as there are scholarships for different types of students, the USF Asian Alliance awards Asian scholarship to support undergraduate students that are of Asian background. The students that are accepted by the University of South Florida are also entitled to apply for these grants.
The requirements for applying for Asian scholarship are
- The applicant should be of Asian background and heritage
- The students who want to apply should be an undergraduate student and must be studying in any department and college at USF.
- The applicant should have at least 3.25 GPA
- If the applicant is new at college he or she should score 4.0 high school GPA
- The applicant must be enrolled for full time in the semester
- It is possible that the scholarship recipients may not receive more than one scholarship
You can apply for the scholarship following the right procedure. The first thing that you need to do is downloading the application form and fill it properly and accurately. You will have to write an essay on any one of the topics and you need to write on the application form. The first topic is to write about your opinion on keeping your Asian traditions in United States and another topic is on how will you contribute to the USF community, as you are an Asian student. Along with this you have to provide a copy of your latest transcript. You have to submit the application form to the Scholarship Committee Chair. The deadline for these scholarships is fixed and it is June 15 and December 15.
The scholarship amount is $500 to each recipient. The decisive factor lies in the hands of the Scholarship Committee and you will have to abide by the decision. The entire application procedure is explained here. You simply have to go to the legitimate website or office and find the application form for Asian scholarship. Once you are able to get that, you can apply keeping in mind the points and tips mentioned here. Make sure you submit all relevant documents along with the duly filled application form.