Higher educational degrees are expensive preventing many deserving students stay deprived of acquiring higher educational degrees. Graduate scholarship in educational studies New England offers free money for those students who have the caliber but find higher education unreachable. (more…)
United Kingdom Scholarships
Studying in another country is the dream of many ambitious and adventurous students. The main aim in studying abroad for most students is to get valuable multicultural experience and exposure; however, students from developing countries generally wish to study aboard for better quality education then their home country.
Studying in another country is expensive because you will have to provide for the expenses of living and study together with other little expenses. There are many private and government organizations that provide travel scholarships to students to help them study in another country; one example of such programs is the Thomas J. Watson Fellowship program that provides aid to students to study outside US for one year. The following 6 tips can help you in getting travel scholarships:
- It is a good idea to appoint a counselor for yourself if you are looking for scholarships aboard. This is highly recommended because these professionals have knowledge of varying terms and conditions of different government and colleges in different countries of world, and they can provide you assistance to get through the scholarship and visa processes.
- You can talk to your counselor or research personally about countries that offer high quality education at lower costs. One example of such countries is South Africa that provides high quality education at low tuition fees and with low living costs as well.
- You can look for confirm discounts in addition to scholarships. Some countries have trend of offering these confirm discounts to every student that enrolls in a particular field or course. This trend is particularly prevalent in the UK.
- Prepare all your documents in advance of applying for a scholarship. The requirements for documents greatly depend on the country your are applying in. In some countries colleges will not be concerned with anything other than your educational documents, but in some other countries colleges may require you to submit bank statements and other documents. Your counselor can provide you complete information on such requirements.
- IF you have not appointed a counselor you should know the visa requirements of each country before you apply for a scholarship in that country, only apply if your are able to meet those requirements. These visa requirements can be seen online on foreign office websites of different countries.
- You should also bear in mind that in most cases you will be required to get travel insurance before you can leave your country, in addition to it some countries may require you to arrange a health insurance.
Many students dream of studying in another country because of greater exposure, value and greater quality of education, which is gained by studying at an international college. Students who study in an international college also have greater career option open to them after completion of their studies, but international students are also at disadvantage because they have to bear greater costs during their education. Especially students from developing countries feel it impossible to fund their studies abroad without some kind of financial aid. The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) is an international scholarship program under which aid is provided to bright international students.
The CSFP was first established in 1959 with the aim to provide scholarships and fellowships to students of commonwealth countries. Under this program the education ministers of commonwealth countries met in Oxford, UK and decided that all commonwealth countries will provide aid to students from other commonwealth countries, since then over 25,000 students have been provided with these scholarships and fellowships.
There is no central body that awards all these scholarships but there is a body by name of national nominating agency that is given responsibility to publish all these scholarships. Individual scholarships are offered by agreements between member countries.UK is the biggest contributor to this overseas scholarships program. The scholarships offered b UK are managed by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission with financial aid from Department for International Development, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. UK provides scholarships at different level to students from developing countries. It provides:
- Scholarships for postgraduate study.
- Split-site Scholarships for PhD students to spend up to one year in the UK.
- Academic Fellowships for staff in developing country universities.
- Scholarships for Master degree students from developing countries under distance learning program.
- Professional Fellowships for mid-career professionals from developing countries
In addition to above mentioned programs many other overseas scholarships program are run by UK government for students from different countries. Students can conveniently search for all these programs on the website of Commonwealth Scholarship Commission.
There are also many more scholarship programs under The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. These programs are offered under several agreements between home and host common wealth countries. Students form commonwealth countries can search for all these programs over internet. All of scholarships offered under CSFP are generally merit based and there is a tough completion for each award. Apart from scholarships offered by CSFP students can also search for many more overseas scholarships over scholarship search engines available on the internet.
A lot of students are interested in studying in the UK. Along with getting the chance to experience the local culture, students feel assured that the teaching will be of high quality and their qualification will be of international standard.
However, study and living costs in the UK are high, and before you get a student visa, you will need to prove that you have enough money in the bank to support yourself without working in the UK. The good thing is that you can fund your studies in the UK with a scholarship or grant; these financial aids are available to those students who need full coverage or partial assistance.
International Student Scholarship Basics
Before submitting an application to get a scholarship, you should find out all the necessary details about the university you wish to enter and the foundations you are looking to get aid from. You can also get information by contacting the British Council or the British Embassy; these two can particularly be helpful in determining the financial costs of living in the UK.
When applying for an international student scholarship in UK, you must submit your application at least a year before the start of school. Make sure that the application form is properly filled and contains accurate information. Also, keep in mind the other requirements for the scholarship.
The amount of money that you can get as an international post graduate student depends on the scholarship you apply for. With some scholarships, you get the money for the entire course; with some other scholarships you get a monthly stipend that will cover your living expenses.
Given below are two of the major scholarship programs for international students at the postgraduate level:
1) Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS): This program is sponsored by the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills. You can win this scholarship if you’re interested in full-time study to get a research degree. It covers the difference in cost between the home country and tuition fee rate. The selection is made based on the student’s academic record and research abilities.
2) Royal Society Fellowships: The fund awards fellowships to postdoctoral scientists from Asia and North America to come to UK and do their postgraduate research at a UK laboratory. US researchers can expect financial aid for up to two years. The research can be in any field of the natural sciences.
A postgraduate degree is necessary for proper career development in the competitive job market of today. Study at postgraduate level is expensive and it is impossible for most of the students at post graduate level to fund their studies without a scholarship or grant. There are thousands of programs run by different organizations worldwide that provide financial aid to students at postgraduate level. This article highlights some of these opportunities.
Royal Society Fellowships: The fund provides financial assistance to postgraduate research students who want to study in United Kingdom and carry on research in the field of natural sciences.
British Chevening Scholarships: This fund provides assistance to students joining a one year postgraduate course in the United Kingdom.
Australian Leadership Awards: This program offers financial assistance to students from the field of social and economic development and policy reform. Financial assistance for short-term fellowships in specialized fields of research or study are also provided under this scheme.
Beaney Scholarship: this programs offer scholarships to students majoring in Pathology from the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Accenture Scholarship: The fund offers scholarships to students from the fields of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering studying at the University of Queensland, Australia.
Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS) awards scholarships to students joining a full-time study at a research degree in United Kingdom. The scholarship covers the difference between the home country and international rate of tuition fees.
In addition to the above programs there are lots of other popular scholarship programs such as the Medicus Student Exchange (Switzerland), The PPGA Family Member Scholarship for Horticulture, and the Asian Cultural Council for Liberal Arts and Humanities scholarship. You can search for information on all these programs by simply visiting their website.
Some developed countries also run scholarship programs to help students from developing countries gain higher education from reputable universities of the world. One of the most popular programs is the agreement between commonwealth countries whereby each country runs separate scholarship programs for the students from other common wealth countries. UK runs many programs that give opportunity to students from less developed common wealth countries to study at postgraduate level in prestigious universities of UK.
You will also find that many universities are offering discounts based on academic merit to postgraduate students. These discounts may not cover a large portion of your expenses but they are helpful in meeting your expenses of postgraduate study.
Studying in a country away from home country is a very rewarding yet a bit scary experience. It gives the students the opportunity to meet people from different cultures and origins, which greatly contribute to his or her experience. Studying at an international college is interesting but expensive as well. Most of the students who want to study abroad are unable to find resources to fund their studies. There are scholarships for international students that can help them finance their studies. In this article we will discuss some opportunities available to students planning to study in United Kingdom.
Studying at United Kingdom is quite expensive and you will also have to show that you have the resource to fund your studies and living costs before you are granted a visa to study in United Kingdom.
Each applicant must show that he has funds to pay for his living costs for at least 9 months if the course duration is longer than 9 months and for the complete duration of course if the course is shorter than 9 months. The living costs are estimated to be 600 pound per month for students who are planning to join a university or college outside London and about 750 pound for students joining a course inside London. Students will also be required to show that they are able to pay tuition fees that is outstanding, any amount of scholarship can be deducted from the amount of funds you are required to show.
You can use scholarship search sites to search for scholarship for international students in United Kingdom. A lot of universities offer good financial aids to students coming to United Kingdom for study. Many universities also offer a guaranteed discount of 10% to 30% to every student joining a specified course; such scholarships can help you a bit in financing your studies. The following organizations also offer scholarships to international students.
Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS) offers scholarships to candidates joining a research degree on the bases of academic merit and research abilities. The scheme is funded by the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills.
Royal Society Fellowships offers scholarships to postdoctoral scientists to attract them to research in UK laboratories.
British Chevening Scholarships offer part or full financial aid to students joining post graduate courses.
In addition to above mentioned organizations you can find hundreds of other organizations with little effort that offer financial aid to international students.