If you have planned to apply for different scholarships, you need to find out sample college scholarship application essays so that you are able to complete the application process successfully and effectively. Almost every scholarship program has its website where you will find complete information regarding the scholarship program and (more…)
Essays For Scholarships
Scholarship essay is a part of almost each scholarship program and you need to write impressive essays on different topics and issues. Therefore, it becomes very important that you learn how to write scholarship essay before you start going through the application process. (more…)
Academic scholarships are available since long time in history. However, to win them is not an easy task. You need to fulfill various requirements and meet the expectations of the sponsor first and then you can have improved chances of winning the award money. (more…)
Scholarship definition has gone through various changes in last few years. There have been a large number of scholarships and grants introduced to the database and more and more students are now eligible to apply for scholarships. (more…)
Scholarships are available for most fields of study. Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions and the amount of scholarship money vary. The key is to identify all the opportunities for which one is eligible and apply in a proper manner. There are some scholarships that are only for a specific institution (such as those offered by a University), others that are international (Aga Khan Foundation scholarship, Fulbright program) and yet others that are country wide which are usually offered by the government of that country.
The first step then is to check out whether you are eligible for a certain opportunity or not. The standard requirement for most scholarships is your acceptance to an institution of study. This means that you must not only be concerned about the eligibility requirements of the scholarships itself but also about the eligibility requirements of the program of study you plan to enroll into. Other requirements usually include excellent academic performance, previous educational qualifications, proficiency in English, etc. Sometimes the candidates are required to take special tests like the TOEFL and IELTS to demonstrate their proficiency in English. Some scholarships are for a certain ethnic group, age group, etc. It is safe to assume that any of the above stated requirements can be unnecessary if not explicitly stated in the eligibility criteria.
As far as the application process itself is concerned, there is no standard procedure of action because scholarship application process varies from scholarship to scholarship. All the candidates must fill out and submit the FAFSA form each year. The eligibility criteria and available opportunities must be well researched out. The candidate must strive hard to fulfill all the eligibility criteria. The applications must be made well within or better still, before the application deadline to allow efficient and hassle free application processing. Sometimes it is enough to submit just an admission application to an institution and it will act as a scholarship application as well. The candidates must also be aware of the costs that the scholarship providers will not cover. This may include costs for taking special tests like the TOEFL or costs that are related to the application process itself. The students should save some money for such scenarios. Furthermore, the candidates should be prepared to write good essays, produce effective CVs and cover letters and make demonstrations of other talents and proficiencies. With a little effort and perseverance, anyone can apply for a scholarship and actually win some money to fund his/her study efforts.
Good writing ability is a common trait of most students. It is important to be able to communicate well in writing to get past tests like SAT, ACT, etc or to just pass the college application process. Good writing skills can also be used to acquire writing scholarships that are offered to people who can demonstrate a certain degree of proficiency in written language. It could be a misconception that because most people are able to write well so it can be rather difficult to acquire a writing scholarship. The reality is that there are not many people out there who bother to write well enough to be worthy of winning a writing scholarship. This means that any person who is able to write well or is aware of all the intricacies of written language and written communication can easily beat throngs of competitors to win a writing scholarship. Let us take a look at some of the writing scholarship opportunities that are available.
The AAAS Minority Science Writers Internship is offered to students who are interested in becoming science journalists. The clearest objective of this scholarship is to promote science reporters and to increase the number of people who bring the wonderful world of science to the common man’s mental level.
The Diverse Minds Youth Writing Challenge by the B’nai B;rith International offers an amount of $5,000 to candidates who write an illustrate a children’s book. The main objectives of this organization are to promote tolerance and equality regardless of age, sex, creed, race, religion, nationality, etc.
The Excellence in Writing Competition, awards 9 scholarships annually worth $1,500 to juniors and seniors of a central Texas high school. This scholarship is available to residents of Texas only and the candidates are required to write an editorial or draw an editorial cartoon about a topic available at http://nieonline.com/austin/specialsdetails.cfm?feature=scholarship
The New York Financial Writer’s Association Scholarship is for residents of the New York Metropolitan area. It is offered to students who plan to pursue a career in financial or business journalism. The application forms are made available in the departments of educational institutions or are downloadable from http://www.nyfwa.org.
These were some of the options that could be considered when applying for writing scholarships. It is a good idea to get hold of a good knowledge or grammar before attempting to win a writing scholarship. Other skills include vocabulary and spellings. Further opportunities can be researched from the internet.
Getting a scholarship to fund studies is becoming increasingly important for most students due to the sky rocketing costs of higher education. There are hundreds of scholarships offered by numerous organization based on different criteria. Most students try to look for college scholarship opportunities that are based on some popular criteria such as academic excellence or athletic performance; it is the most logical thing to do but students should not overlook the scholarship opportunities that provide aid based on unusual criteria. These scholarship opportunities provide the chance to students to fund their studies even if they do not fulfill the criteria for academic or sports scholarships. In this article I will discuss some such college scholarship opportiunites.
- If you like to drink milk and you have little athletic ability you can win a $7000 scholarship to fund your studies by writing an essay on the benefits of drinking milk and sending it with a photo of you in milk mustache. In 2010 25 such scholarships were awarded to students.
- Do you love to skate board? If you have a passion for skateboarding you can apply for the Patrick Kerr Skateboard Scholarship program. This scholarship program provides aid to four students every year. The student with first position gets a $5000 scholarship while the remaining three get $1000 scholarships.
- There are some scholarships offered to students based on height. The tall club offers scholarships to students that are over five feet ten inches tall for women and over six feet tall for men. The Little People of America group offers this award both for those with dwarfism and for individuals under four feet ten inches in height.
- Students who are in love with potatoes and want to join a course related to potato farming can get aid through Potato industry scholarships.
- If you have a talent for music you can get aid for college studies through the School Band and Orchestra Magazine Scholarship program by simply writing an essay on how music has made an impact in your life.
- If you have read the Ayn Rand’s novel, The Fountainhead and can write an essay about it you can get aid of $10000 through the scholarship program offered by The Ayn Rand Institute.
More information on above mentioned scholarship programs can be obtained from their websites. You can also search for many other scholarship opportunities based on varying criteria and offered in different regions over the internet.
Different scholarships have different requirements. If your scholarship opportunity requires you to write an essay then you can maximize your chances of success by writing a quality essay. Let us discuss some tips that can help you write a quality scholarship essay.
If you are not provided with a topic then you will do a lot of good to yourself by choosing a topic that highlights some of your traits that we will later discuss and if you are given a topic, even then you can work it in a way that highlights your traits to the maximum.
As far as the traits you need to highlight are concerned, you must first try to tell the reader about a major achievement of yours. This could be something that will make the reader feel that you need to be awarded the scholarship. Keep in mind though that you must look at your achievements from the perspective of the reader and then decide that what is an achievement worth writing about.
You also need to highlight your power of initiative. If you indicate a situation where you really took the initiative to help others or did what was necessary, it becomes a very good impression on the reader. It indicates that if you are able to do community service with zeal, you are going to be successful in your life too.
It could also help you if in your scholarship essays you write about a tough situation and how you got out of it. It could include disabilities, death of family members, financial problems. When you show your courage to face the problems of life, it convinces the reader about your strength of character.
Generally, you must focus on quality rather than quantity. Research your topic well before you have to submit it. Most students write their essays one or two days before the submission date or do so on the day of submission. This does not allow for sufficient proof reading and research that is crucial. You must also pay attention to tailoring your essay according to the company you are going to apply to. This might include indicating how the company has affected you. You must also take care to make your essay unique. The readers will have to go through hundreds of essays and if you manage to stand out from the crowd you can be sure of your success. Last but not the least, what ever you do, do not tell lies!! They will ruin your chances.
If you have been through the hectic process of searching for a scholarship, the next step is to apply for a scholarship. Before you apply for scholarships you should carefully know all requirements of the scholarship provider and fulfill them. Some scholarship providers will require you to write an essay on any generalized topic. Most of the students are reluctant to write an essay, which is in fact a very good opportunity to express your personality.
Essays for scholarships give you the opportunity to explain your strengths and convey all your achievements in life to scholarship providers which your certificates alone would not have communicated. Even if you are not asked to write an essay you should include an essay in your application that will help scholarship providers evaluate you. Most wining scholarship essays exhibit certain aspects. If you are writing essays for scholarships you should try to exhibit following qualities in your essay.
- Make choice of topic carefully. Topic can be an event you participated in, a particular day of your life or a hot issue in country, but whatever topic you choose you should do a lot of research related to it, and make sure that you can express your thoughts clearly and confidently on the chosen topic.
- Try to build a personal connection. You should try to show that how your own experiences in life are connected to the conclusion you bring up in your essay. This will help scholarship providers evaluate your thoughts and interests.
- If the topic you choose gives room for it, you should try to link your own academics, extracurricular activities and aims in life to your essay. This will help scholarship providers evaluate what you do other then academics and what you are going to do with your education.
- Try to be interesting. Your essay reflects on your personality, so you should try to make the essay interesting.
- Don’t try to be the perfect applicant. If you try to convey that you are an all knowing genius, you will probably end up turning the judges off. Instead you should reveal your doubts and appreciate the challenges before you, and show your gratitude to every person that has helped you become what you are today.
- Focus on quality. A good scholarship essay is not necessarily a lengthy one. You should try to write a quality essay, avoiding grammatical mistakes and spelling mistakes, of normal length.